Dr. Prabhakarn Arunachalam
2014 Asst professor, King Saud University, Department of Chemistry, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
2013 D.Sc., Tokyo Institute of Technology, Chemical Resource Laboratory, Japan
2010 Researcher, International Advanced Research Center for powder Metallurgy and New materials, India,
2009 M. Sc, National Institute of Technology- Trichirapalli, Department of Chemistry, India
2007 B. Sc, Bharathiyar University, India
1987 Born in India
Specialize: Visible light Photocatalysis, Water oxidation Organic Semiconductors, Electrochemistry; Nanomaterials, Biomaterials.
Recent Research Themes:
Development of photocatalysts for water splitting under visible light irradiation
Development of novel catalysts (mesoporous materials, nanomaterials)
Arunachalam Prabhakarn is assistant professor of Chemistry department at King Saud University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He completed doctorate degree in the field of chemistry and received Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) degree at Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan. He published 10 papers in peer reviewed international journals. He presented his work in electrochemical society of Japan, material research society of Japan and many other conferences. His research work is mainly focused on low light visible light photocatalysis of organic semiconductors and photoelectrochemical studies of materials. He has developed the organic semiconductors by low cost reprecipitation method. He also studied heterogeneous catalytic activity of biomaterials and heteropolyacids. The research interest also includes the electrochemical studies of inorganic catalyst and organic semiconductors.
Publications in peer-reviewed international journals – 10; Presentations at academic society meetings/symposiums – 7
1. Kesavan S, Prabhakaran Arunachalam, S. Abraham John, “Formation of heteroaromatic diazonium grafted layers on gold nanoparticles and their electrocatalytic activity towards an important purine derivative”, RSC Adv, 4, 2014, 30896.
2. N. Vasimalai, Prabhakarn Arunachalam, S. Abraham John, “A Turn-On Fluoroscent Sensor for Highly Selective and Ultrasensitive Copper (II) Ions in Aqueous Medium Using Folic Acid Capped Gold Nanoparticles as Fluorophore”, Nanotechnology, 24 (2013) 505503.
3. Prabhakarn Arunachalam, Shuai Zhang, Toshiyuki Abe, Tomokazu Iyoda, Keiji Nagai, “Synthesisand Characterization of BiphasicVanadyl phthalocyanine and C60 composite nanoparticles through a reprecipitation process”, Transaction of MRS-J, 37 (2012) 205-208.
4. Shuai Zhang, Prabhakarn Arunachalam, Toshiyuki Abe, Tomokazu Iyoda, and Keiji Nagai, “Photocatalytic decomposition of N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone, aldehydes, and thiol by biphase and p/n junction-like organic semiconductor composite nanoparticles responsive to nearly full spectrum of visible light”, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology A Chemistry, 244 (2012), 18-23.
5. S. M. Roopan, A. Bharathi, Prabhakarn Arunachalam, A. Abdul Rahuman, K. Velayutham, G. Rajakumar, R. D. Padmaja, Mohan Lekshmi, G. Madhumitha, ”Efficient phyto-synthesis and structural characterization of rutile TiO2 nanoparticles using Annona squamosa peel extract, Spectrochimica Acta Part A, 98 (2012) 86-90.
6. Rajendran Kumar, Selvaraj Mohana Roopan, Prabhakarn Arunachalam, Venkatesan Gopiesh Khanna, Subhendu Chakroborty, “Agricultural waste Annona squamosa peel extract: Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles”, Spectrochemica Acta Part-A, 90 (2012) 173–176.
7. Selvaraj Mohana Roopan, Annadurai Bharathi, Rajendran Kumar, Venkatesh Gopiesh Khanna, Prabhakarn Arunachalam, “Acaricidal, insecticidal, and larvicidal efficacy of aqueous extract of Annona squamosa L peel as biomaterial for the reduction of palladium salts into nanoparticles”, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 92 (2012) 209–212.
8. E. Lingareddy, Prabhakarn Arunachalam, J. Karuppiah, N. Rameshbabu and Ch.Subrahmanyam, ”Gold supported calcium deficient hydroxyapatite for room temperature CO oxidation”. International Journal of Nano Science, Vol. 11, No. 3 (2012) 1240004.
9. Prabhakarn Arunachalam, J. A. Fereiro, Ch. Subrahmanyam, “Esterification of Methacrylic acid with Ethylene glycol over Heteropolyacid supported on ZSM-5”, Journal of the Korean Chemical Society , 55, (2011) 55, No. 1.
10. M. Sandhyarani, Prabhakarn Arunachalam, and N.Rameshbabu, Ch. Subrahmanyam, “Nanosized non-stoichiometric hydroxyapatite: Synthesis, characterization and evaluation as a catalyst for esterification reaction”, Current topics in catalysis, 2009, Pages: 81 – 90.